Day One - January 25 - Welcome and Overview
- Introductions and Zoom Orientation
- Impacts of Covid-19 Pandemic on Probate Mediation Practice
- Everything Has Changed
- Specific Desired Outcomes
- Polling Word Cloud
- What is ODR? What is Online Mediation?
- Probate & Elder Issue Case Types
- Online Mediation Resources
- Developing an Online Mediation Business Plan - Exercise
- The Evolution of ODR & Online Mediation
- Asynchronous and Synchronous Interactions
- Communicating Through Technology
- Introducing CREK
- Online Mediation Ethics - Exercise
- ACTEC Commentator: Terrence M. Franklin, Los Angeles, CA (Online v FTF)
- CREK Walk-Through
- Cross-Cultural Mediation
- Core Skills for Online Mediators
- How Parties and Mediators Behave Differently Online
- Video Mediation - Nuts and Bolts - Zoom Practice
- ACTEC Commentator: Brian C. Hewitt, Indianapolis, IN (Zoom)
Day Four - January 28 - Getting Your Online Mediation Practice Going
- Agreement to Mediate and Ground Rules
- Resources at OnlineMediators.com
- Recording Online Video Introduction, Contact Pages and Forms
- Online Joint and Caucus Meetings
- ACTEC Commentators: Mary Radford, Atlanta, GA & Susan Gary, Eugene, OR (overall commentary)
- Mediation Strategy
- Developing and Editing the Settlement Agreement
- Getting a Settlement Agreement Signed
- Getting Cases and Marketing
- ODR Events and Ongoing Skills Development
- Conclusion and Wrap Up
Jim Melamed co-founded Mediate.com in 1996 and served as CEO of Mediate.com until 2020. Before Mediate.com, Jim founded The Mediation Center in Eugene, Oregon in 1983 and served as Executive Director of the Academy of Family Mediators (AFM) from 1987 to 1993.
Clare Fowler, Managing Editor at Mediate.com, received her Master's of Dispute Resolution from the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at the Pepperdine University School of Law and her Doctorate in Organizational Leadership, focused on reducing workplace conflicts, from Pepperdine University School of Education. Clare also coordinated the career development program for The Straus Institute dispute resolution students. In addition to her editorial duties at Mediate.com, Clare coordinates online case management for ADR programs, agencies and courts.
Preeminent in the realm of trust, estate and conservatorship disputes, Bruce S. Ross provides mediation and arbitration services that are strengthened by his decades of experience as a trial lawyer. He has more than 45 years of experience with high-value fiduciary litigation and the resolution of estate, trust, protective and financial elder abuse proceedings and disputes. Bruce is ranked by Chambers High Net Worth 2017 in its highest tier, Band 1 in Private Wealth Disputes, across the United States of America.
Colin Rule is President and CEO of Mediate.com and Arbitrate.com. In 2011 Colin co-founded Modria.com, an Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) provider based in Silicon Valley, which was acquired by Tyler Technologies in 2017. From 2017 to 2020 Colin served as Vice President of ODR at Tyler. From 2003 to 2011 Colin was Director of Online Dispute Resolution for eBay and PayPal. He has worked in the dispute resolution field for more than 25 years as a mediator, trainer, and consultant.